Time for the last category I tested for the Elle Quebec/Canada Beauty Grand Prix. Back in March I told you all about getting chosen to participate in the Elle Quebec/Canada Beauty Grand Prix and gave you a look at the products and categories of the products that I was sent to blind test. Well, the testing is over and I have submitted my log book and gave my opinion on all 18 products I received. If you want to read about the introduction you can click here, Part 1 - Body scrubs here, Part 2 - Deodorants here, and Part 3 - Face Serums here. I received products in Body Scrub (3), Deodorants (3), Face Serum (5), and Dry Shampoo (6). I was a little surprised on what some of the products were once I was able to get all the sparkly tape off. Let me tell you I learned quickly the best way to get tape gunk off! Hint-Peanut butter and patience won out for me!
The last category for testing is Dry Shampoo -
As per the previous products I again tested each Dry Shampoo in numerical order. Even though I use a lot of Dry Shampoo, I only knew what one of them was! For testing purposes we were to use each product for a minimum duration of 3-5 days, over 10 days. Directions were the same for all - Shake well. Lift sections of hair and spray 15-20cm from scalp. Massage thoroughly with fingertips and style.
044 - Joico Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo -
- Texture - When I sprayed this dry shampoo into my hair it felt really light, almost like I hadn't sprayed anything at all.
- Absorption - Not the greatest, my hair stayed fairly flat the days I used it.
- Condition of hair - My hair did feel soft when I used it.
- Ease of use - Worked great at any angle, even upside down.
- Scent - A nice fresh scent that wasn't overpowering nor did it last long.
Thoughts - The great thing about this dry shampoo was that it didn't leave any white cast on my hair at all. I actually wondered if maybe my can was defective! It was easy to brush/work through the hair. I did notice that my scalp started feeling itchy towards the end of the day on the days I used this. Price $30.25 CAD
054 - Redken Pillow Proof -
- Texture - This dry shampoo was very light feeling on my hair.
- Absorption - This one absorbed oil well but gave no volume at all.
- Condition of hair - Didn't seem to give me any volume after working it through my hair.
- Ease of use - Again worked great at all angles.
- Scent - I loved that this had barely any scent at all.
Thoughts - There was barely any white cast at all after I sprayed this in my hair and what there was was very easy to brush out. Unfortunately , once again this dry shampoo made my scalp itchy by the end of the day. Price $24.00 CAD.
057 - Moroccan Oil -
- Texture - Another light feeling dry shampoo.
- Absorption - Absorbed the oils quickly.
- Condition of hair - After I brushed this through my hair, my hair felt just washed!
- Ease of use - Worked great at any angle.
- Scent - Almost unscented, what scent there was was very light.
Thoughts - The Moroccan Oil dry shampoo did leave a white cast, but it was really easy to brush through. I loved how it made my hair feel and no itchy scalp! I even used this twice before washing my hair and it was still great! Price $26.00 CAD.
084 - Amika -
- Texture - Very light feeling when sprayed into hair.
- Absorption - Quickly absorbed oil and gave volume.
- Condition of hair - My hair again felt clean and was shiney.
- Ease of use - Worked great at any angle.
- Scent - Has a great fresh scent that doesn't cling.
Thoughts - I was pretty sure on what this one was, I could see the colors at the top! When you spray this it does leave a white cast but is so easy to brush out. My hair looked freshly washed, shiney and with quite a bit of volume, when I used this even when I used it twice. I really liked this dry shampoo but it isn't easy to find in my area, nor online! Price $31.20 CAD.
188 - Herbal Essence - Naked -
- Texture - It felt like I had just sprayed my hair with hairspray when I used this, sticky.
- Absorption - It did an ok job of absorbing oil, once I could get a brush through it.
- Condition of hair - My hair felt sticky when I used this, like 90s hairspray!
- Ease of use - It did work great at an angle.
- Scent - Had barely any scent, just a faint fruity scent.
Thoughts - This one also left barely any white cast, but I think its more like hairspray! Within a few hours of using this my scalp started getting really itchy, I washed my hair as soon as I got home from work! I may try this as a hairspray and see how it does for that, maybe if I don't spray it directly on my scalp it won't be itchy! Price $3.98 CAD.
236 - Matrix Total Results Miracle Extender -
- Texture - Light feeling on hair.
- Absorption - Worked great, I even tried it out on 4 day hair!
- Condition of hair - Hair felt soft, but it didn't give a lot of volume.
- Ease of use - Worked great at an angle.
- Scent - Nice light fresh scent.
Thoughts - This Matrix had a great fresh scent that didn't last long at all, nor was it to strong when spraying. I did get the somewhat usual white cast but it was so easy to brush out. Price $17.42 CAD.
Once again after I submitted my log book, it showed me my favorite...even blind testing Amika was my top choice! Sadly I still haven't found any place to buy it! But luckily for me I found a few other dry shampoos that I liked as well that are available in stores for me. I also liked the Moroccanoil, Redken, and Matrix Dry Shampoos, all of which are easily accessible! Joico and Herbal Essence where big duds for me, but I had tried Herbal Essence before and didn't like it than either.
I am glad I was given the chance to try out so many dry shampoos, it's not the most glamorous product, but it is one I use frequently. I wasn't sure on any of the products, I had a good idea on one-but I thought I knew all the Deodorants to, so it was really blind testing!
It was a lot of fun participating in the Elle Quebec/Canada Beauty Grand prix and I am happy I was given the chance. I found quite a few products that I really like and will continue to purchase, and a few that I know to stay away from. I can't wait to see what products were voted favorites from all the categories, and where my favorites came in! I think they announce the winners in the Fall, I will be watching out for it! Have you ever gotten the chance to blind test anything? Did your results surprise you? Did I pick any of your favorites? Or hate its? What do you think about blind testing, would you be interested in doing it? Let me know!